— Switches the site language

Housing Resources

Discover programs and resources for obtaining housing or resisting an improper eviction.

About housing and victims

There are many reasons victims of crime may have a hard time finding and/or keeping safe housing. People may need help with an eviction case, paying rent, escaping an abusive relationship, or they may be suffering from financial abuse. Regardless of the circumstances, there are resources available to help.

Finding housing

If you’re having trouble finding housing or meeting certain expenses, consider these programs.

Victims of Crime Assistance Program

This fund assists victims of crime with a variety of expenses, such as relocation costs and loss of earnings caused by the crime. To qualify for assistance, cases need to meet the following criteria (there are some exceptions for domestic violence victims):

  • The crime must have occurred in Pennsylvania.
  • The crime must have been reported (or a protection order must have been granted) within three days of the crime.
  • An application must be completed and submitted within two years of the crime.
  • You must cooperate with the police, courts, and the Victims Compensation Program staff.

If you have questions about the VCAP program please call 1-800-233-2339.

Pennsylvania 211

211 is a free service to help people in need get connected to resources in their community. Dial 211 or text your zip code to 898-211 to speak free of cost with a specialist, who will listen to your needs and connect you with available services. Or visit the search page to explore available programs. Here are some examples of what the service offers:

  • Confidential crisis and emergency counseling
  • Disaster assistance
  • Food, healthcare, and insurance assistance
  • Stable housing and utilities payment assistance
  • Employment services
  • Veteran services
  • Childcare and family services

Visit pa211.org to learn more.

Local domestic violence partnerships

Many communities offer support and resources for victims of domestic violence that individuals may be unaware of. Search the web for resources in your area, or contact our attorneys for help learning what’s available nearby.

Resisting an eviction

If you’ve received an eviction notice or a judgment for eviction, contact our attorneys for more information and guidance. We can help you understand your options and connect you with legal aid for help finding representation.