— Switches the site language

Financial Support

If you are considering divorce but are in need of financial support, you may be entitled to spousal support, alimony pendente lite, and/or alimony.

Spousal support and alimony pendente lite: Both are forms of financial support that you can receive until the divorce is finalized.

Alimony: Alimony is financial support that is received after the divorce is finalized.

In addition, if you have primary physical custody of your children, the other parent is obligated to pay child support until the child turns eighteen (18) years old and graduates from high school.

How Do I File for Financial Support?

To start a support action, you have to go to your local Domestic Relations Office (DRO). Before going to the DRO you will need to gather information about your income and assets. You will want to have the following information:

  • Checking and savings account information
  • Expenses you pay for your child(ren) such as health care, day care and special needs.

Staff at the DRO will provide you with the forms to start a support action and will schedule you for an initial support conference. Once the initial conference is scheduled, the DRO will serve the other party with the support action. In order for the DRO to serve the other person they will need information about them, including:

  • Name
  • Social Security Number
  • Address
  • Place of employment

There is a fee to start a support action. If you cannot pay this fee you can fill out a Petition to Proceed In Forma Pauperis (IFP), which is a request for a waiver of this fee. Provide the completed form to the DRO who will make a decision on your request for a fee waiver.

For more information and guidance on support, please contact one of our attorneys.